Friday, March 8, 2013

Safety First

When we finally moved in we were greeted by the chirping fire alarms. This was a good sign since I could not remember If I saw a smoke alarm the few times we were in the house. I mean that because nothing has been updated in this house since probably 1966. I read too much and watch too much of the news to know about all the dangers of not having working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. This is especially important when you live in an older home that is heated with natural gas. They call it the silent killer for a reason people. 

Upon our first run to HD to gather supplies I made sure to get a carbon monoxide alarm for the first floor since we only had a smoke alarm on the first floor and a smoke/carbon monoxide combination alarm for the second floor. Our basement is not finished but if it was I would have picked up another one for that level as well. You should really have a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm on every floor of your home. This is an inexpensive and easy way to make sure that you are prepared; I think the alarm cost $10. 

Here is my PSA for the day: Go out there and get yourself a carbon/smoke alarm if you don’t have one. If you do have one make sure you test it often to make sure it still works. With Daylight Savings this weekend its a great time to test twice a year - every time you change your clocks, check your alarms!

No comments:

Post a Comment