Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Resolutions


It is that time of year where everyone keeps talking about what they want to do in the new year and most  people make resolutions for themselves. I don’t believe in this – one year I said I was going to give up meat for a whole year and that lasted about 3 months… I just don’t like making resolutions because honestly why would I set up myself for failure like that. However, I have made a promise to blog more and it should be easier now that I have about 8 million projects that need to be done. Yes, 8 million.

That might sound like a lot or an exaggeration but I am not kidding…the reason why we have so many projects is because we have moved. It was a difficult and easy decision all at the same time – we did not even tell anyone except my aunt who was AMAZING and answered all my paranoid questions regarding this massive project we were about to undertake; she is a Realtor in Kansas City and has seen many old homes and knows what types of problems are "deal-breakers". Throughout this process we also learned which of our friends and family can keep secrets – only some of you passed. We are proud/scared to  introduce our little house of horrors.


It is a 1940 Cape Cod and I am pretty sure everything in it is original right down to “push button” light switches. Yes – you push a button to turn on the lights in the bedrooms and until now I had never seen these in person. I found the delivery notice for the kitchen appliances and they were delivered in 1966 – they still work (for now). Of course we would never even think about buying a home that was already renovated because you know every now and then we think you like to hear something from us nice and easy, but there’s just one thing, you see we never do anything nice and easy, we always do it nice and rough… (Proud Mary anyone?).


Seriously though, we went through some great older homes that were finished and we just don’t believe that there is any value in new homes. We bought our home at a great price and we will be able to sell it later on for more than we paid for it – can’t really say that for new/renovated homes since it is already built into the purchase price. Just my little real estate tip for you all.

Anyway, I hope that this year you will step back in time with us as we bring this house into the 21st century, updating every inch of it. Well maybe not every inch since we plan on keeping the original solid wood(!) doors from 1940 – they just don’t make them like that anymore. I have a feeling I will be saying that a lot.

If you are in the DC area and looking for a Realtor we highly recommend Brian who helped us envision taking down walls in some homes, innovative uses for space and showed patience both for us and the quirky sellers we encountered along the way. Of course if you are in the Kansas City area we highly recommend Doretta who really truly is the best in KC!


2 comments: