Wednesday, November 9, 2011

ORBsession

I forgot how incredible spray paint is. I have been trolling pintrest and admiring how so many people had taken spray paint and made incredible transformations of regular items into brand-new looking fixtures. I’ve never really used spray paint in the past – lots of hairspray but not spray paint. When I saw all these amazing transformations it reminded me of one time I helped my aunt spray paint some outdoor furniture but since it was my first time I think she ended up having to do a second coat…sorry about that DC.


Since we moved into our house I have never really been crazy about the switchplates and was not excited about the monetary investment of buying designer switch plates – which look fantastic, by the way, since we bought a few for our bathroom. However, when you have a hundred million switchplates and outlet covers it can get expensive. Last time I was at the hardware store I checked out the spray paint and found this Rustoleum Metallic finishes paint; at $7 I figured I would buy it and see what kinds of junk I could find and turn into works of art. I bought the Oil Rubbed Bronze (aka ORB on the interwebs) and the Brushed Nickel finish.
I have yet to find some junk I could spray paint into expensive looking art but I thought I would try it out on a switchplate and a C that I had around the house.


Pretty great transformation – and for only $7 I can paint all my switchplates and outlet covers to make them look better than just builder white. I think it brings a little warmth to the wall. I also tried out the brushed nickel on another switchplate but ended up liking the ORB finish better because I am totally ORBsessed.



I continue to look for other items around the house that will feed my new addiction to spray paint. I considered spray painting my sunburst mirror but a voice inside my head said “put down that spray paint – it looks great as is”… hooray for my frontal lobe. I honestly don’t know why it took me so long to finally find a solution for all the switchplates that I was planning on replacing; with the money I saved I’m buying shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment